To make the process as seamless and comfortable as possible, here is a list of suggested steps to launch your lesson:
1. Quick Review of Lesson: Everyone (including our teacher) do a quick review of the lesson. (See attached)
- Review activities and which ones you might be interested in delivering
- See how lessons could be combined. For example, the first 2 prep activities could be combined. Perhaps Activity 4 and 5 could be combined.
2. Connect: Team
- Exchange phone numbers and/or email addresses.
- Select a leader who will keep everyone informed of lesson progress, etc.
- Meet in person or online with the teacher as soon as possible. (as many on the team as possible)
- Gain practical information about school rules and procedures such as parking, visitor badges, etc.
- Work out the schedule of activities with the teacher. Pick a start date (hopefully before end of January that works for all)
- Obtain advice about curriculum, scheduling, grouping, etc.
- Assign lesson components
- Join the STEMup Network (optional, of course) http://stemupbatonrouge.org
3. Prepare: Volunteers:
- Practice at home: use common materials you have at home
- STEMup staff will deliver materials to school
4. Prepare: Teacher
- Prep class now on upcoming lesson, giving them a very small overview of lesson
- Send media permission home for signature
- Administer survey to students
- Send letter to parents regarding unit (included in teacher manual)
- Divide students into teams
- Have students create and sign the learning/team contract
5. Deliver Lesson - ALL
- Facilitate lesson
- Update team (copy us) on each lesson results
- Celebrate at project showcase at end
- Post comments and photos to site (particularly showcase)
- Participate in post-unit debrief
6. Evaluate – ALL
- Post project surveys and/or interviews
- Teacher administers post-project survey to students
7. Share Results and Pass it on...
- Participate in best practice event in June
- Encourage other colleagues to form teams